The church of Our Lady of Charity, also known as Agoo Basilica, was founded in 1578 by Franciscan Friars when it was still a part of Pangasinan. The Original Church was built using Bamboo and Nipa. Destroyed during the 1592 Earthquake, the Original Church was built in Barangay Nagrugcan.
The Church was Destroyed by the 1892 Earthquake and repaired in 1893 under the supervision of Fr. Aquilino Garcia. The present Church was designed by Architect Ignacio Palma Bautista. The image of Our Lady of Charity was crowned in this church in 1971. The church was later demolished in 1975 to give way for the construction of the present bigger church. Construction started on January 8,1976. The Church was consecrated as a Marian Shrine on December 8,1978 by Sebastian Cardinal Baggio. The bell tower, the only remaining original structure, crashed during the earthquake of 1989.
On July 15,1982 the Church was elevated to the status of Basilica Minore by Pope John Paul II.
No thanks, don't show this box again.