Our Lady Of Manaog Church, also known as the Shrine of the Nuestra Senora de Manaoag, is located in Manaoag, Pangasinan; the church was established by Captain Gaspar de Gamboa in 1720 and was donated to the Dominicans in 1722. The church is Spanish-Romanesque sprinkled with a little touch of German and Italian Renaissance architectural composition. "Manaoag" is coined from the word "taoag" (tawag) or "to call" when centuries ago, a farmer on his way to his farm one daybreak heard the virgin mary calling him from the top of the tamarind tree (where the church is right now) instructing him to initiate the construction of the church. These days, thousands of devotees visit the town of Manaoag each day in response to the Virgin Mary's "tawag" or "call".
The image of Mary itself is said to have been brought to the Philippine Islands by way of Acapulco, Mexico by Padre Juan de San Jacinto around 400 years ago. The Lady of Manaoag is a 17th century ivory statue with an intricate, gold lined, bejeweled dress. The statue is treated like a person – changed and perfumed every so often. The locals believe in its power to help those who are in sick and in need. The Lady of Manaoag is so important that it has been propped up high on an altar and locked behind bullet-proof glass. Devotees can enter the behind the altar to pray to The Lady and touch her back.
No thanks, don't show this box again.