The Cathedral of St. William the Hermit, also known as the San Fernando Cathedral, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Fernando de La Union, in the Philippines. The church was founded on 1764 by Fr. Francisco Romero and Santiago Olarte with Saint William the Hermit as the titular saint.
Originally a Chapel situated at Barrio San Vicente, formerly known as “Pindangan” after which San Fernando was first called. Upon the Canonical Erection of the Diocese of San Fernando and the Solemn Installation of the First Bishop Most Rev. Victorino C. Ligot, D.D. on April 1970, the parish church became St. William Cathedral. The church was reconstructed by the residents through the efforts of Bishop Santiago C. Sancho in 1947-1949 after it was destroyed during the liberation of the province in 1945 and rededicated on February 10, 1949.
It is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan. Prior to the creation of the diocese, the church was formerly under the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia. The Cathedral's patron saint is William of Maleval or William the Great who died on the 10th of February 1157 and the founder of the Catholic congregation of Williamites, a branch of the Hermits of St. Augustine. The town feast is celebrated every February 10.
No thanks, don't show this box again.